Let’s resurrect email marketing from the misconceptions surrounding its irrelevance
At approximately 3 billion users, nearly half of the world leverages email as a form of communication. While that number may seem big, it’s nothing compared to the staggering number of emails that are sent PER DAY. Can you guess what that number is? Admittedly, throwing out rhetorical questions into the digi-sphere doesn’t have quite the build-up effect we were going for…
So, we will just tell you: it’s more than 300 billion. That is HUNDREDS of emails a day per online user.
This number is both good and bad for our marketing comrades: It means email marketing is definitely not “dead”, but it also indicates communicating to your audiences through this medium boasts approximately the same level of competitiveness as a death duel in Mortal Kombat. However, we’re cheering on the value of effective email marketing and not trying to scare you off it (while also being honest and, as always, awesome).
So, here are some eye-opening statistics about the world’s most popular form of communication, which prove email marketing still very much alive:
- The approximate ROI of email marketing is $42 per one well-spent dollar
- 90% of marketers use email marketing to enhance consumer relations and sales. While – insert the jumping off the bridge analogy here – imitation is not always ideal; it certainly shows industry experts are still invested in this platform
- Welcome emails procure an 80+ % open rate, which means they are a great way to set a positive tone with your potential customers
- Email marketing is proven to boost growth, customer retention and the likelihood of a completed rather than abandoned cart for online purchases
- More than 50% of customers are receptive to receiving promos via email and intend to use them
With nearly 80% of marketers seeing an increase in email engagement over the past 12 months, why do people still think email marketing is passé?
The quick answer is because many businesses are not using this important marketing tool correctly. Aka their poor ROIs on this digital investment have turned them into what the youth like to refer to as haters. In more professional terms, the reasons behind email marketing fatigue tend to revolve around a brand’s attempts to leverage one-size-fits-all strategies that don’t align with their specific offerings or target audiences.
Not all email marketing campaigns are made equal, and many are basically a throwaway into the digital can. You too may totally miss the mark on email marketing by failing to do the following:
- Customer research: understanding who you are speaking to and what they want to hear
- Segmentation: you need to group your email recipients by demographic/interests and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, their position on the conversion cycle.
There is nothing more annoying than purchasing a product and then receiving an email that week telling you to purchase the same product. Segment strategically or play Russian Roulette with the unsubscribe button.
- Cool, clickable media: Do your email campaigns still leverage all plain text? Are you a big fan of low-pixel stock photos and a total eradication of great video content? If so, please seek help and benefit from the 300% increases in engagement offered by well-groomed images and imaginative video
- Schedule your emails strategically: Make your email campaigns make sense by sending them at points in your selling cycle that align with seasonal promotions, product launches, consumer interest, etc., Additionally, honour your customers’ preferred schedules by seeing when they are most active and using those days and times as directives.
Pump life into your email marketing strategy with CR Creative
Email campaigns can either put the fun or the mental in your digital marketing strategies. But, when they are done thoughtfully and with the right amount of TLC (talent, look & feel, and care), our agency sees these digital communications as fundamental components of your customer relations and sales strategy.
Reach out to our team today to learn how we can maximize your email marketing ROI and help integrate this lively brand and sales tool into an overarching campaign strategy that really kicks…KPIs.