Video may have killed the radio star, but it’s now a fundamental lifeline for your online brand & marketing strategy
We love all kinds of content, but in this blog, we are going to tell you why video needs to be part of your brand marketing strategy. For starters, this punchy platform is crushing the social popularity test, with video generating 1200% more shares than text and images combined. What’s more, is that people retain 85% more messaging via video than reading text alone, so this popularity is compounded by a truly impressive capacity for connecting with audiences.
When did video become the “It Girl” of online marketing?
Video has always been a fan favourite medium, but due to constraints surrounding file sizes, development expenses, and other technical limitations, it wasn’t until the last five years where video really began to make its mark on digital marketing. YouTube is where video really took hold. That trend towards the Tube has not only remained trendy, but it’s become a timeless component of marketing. Currently, more than 3 billion people leverage the platform to play, perform and advertise, and that number continues to climb annually.
The only difference is now, video isn’t relegated to this one space. The popularity of video has blown up far beyond the tube of the proverbial you, and video has completely taken over all forms of social media and the world wide web more generally.
If our opening stats didn’t sufficiently demonstrate the prevalence & popularity of video marketing, here are some more eye-catching numeros to keep in mind:
- More than 80% of people – aka your potential customers – prefer to watch videos than any other media
- Nearly 90% of marketers regularly use video to achieve their marketing goals
- When a video is paired with a product description, the consumer is roughly 120% more likely to buy
- Significant potential to increase conversion rates by 80% when you pair other email marketing content with video
- More than 90% of digital marketers attribute the attainment of new customers to videos shared online
These numbers and all the warm fuzzies we feel when watching videos of Golden Retrievers are sure-fire indicators of the attractiveness of video marketing. The top goals of marketing are to raise awareness and encourage conversions. When you have access to a medium that enhances your odds of authentic engagement and conversion by double and triple digits, can you really afford to pass it over? We think not. However, we also think (know for certain), just because this marketing tool CAN work does not mean it WILL.
To take full advantage of the emotive appeal and persuasive capacity of video, you need to keep the following in mind:
- Determine why you are creating a video and what it is going to achieve (aka create a video strategy that aligns with your overarching brand goals)
- Know who your audience is and include references, personas, and copy that rings true with that specific group
- Decide which type of video you’re going to use (e.g., interview-style, animated, testimonial) and do a good job in that particular vein, rather than using a mishmash of every media imaginable
- Short videos are best – with the ideal length being around 10 seconds (up to a minute)
- The imagery should be clear, flow flowy, and editing on point (an iPhone may do in most cases, but if you are appealing to discerning audiences, don’t skip on the professional of the video-making process)
- Scriptwriting is an art, so put a creative mind to work on the messaging you put forth
Now we know we’ve thrown a lot of numbers and bullets at you. But, even if you choose to ignore all the hard facts of a post-radio reality, what you can’t ignore is every time you open your laptop or phone, Instagram, or LinkedIn. Video is dominating every corporate and social scene, and it’s an essential part of keeping up with conservation (and influencing it). Like the Bad Boys soundtrack, the medium is showing us, “We Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere” and neither will our businesses if we don’t now choose to seize this promotional superpower.
The qualitative and quantitative ROIs on video marketing are too sweet to be ignored. So, don’t let the intimidation factor of planning and creating a media masterpiece put a sour taste in your strategy. Reach out to CR Creative and learn how we can support you with specific tactics, like custom videos, as well as the broad vision they are intended to support.